From Brandeis University Athletics
The Brandeis University fencing teams hosted the Eric Sollee Invitational this afternoon, with coach Bill Shipman honoring his team's 14 seniors during the course of the day.
OVERALL TEAM PERFORMANCES
- The Judges posted a 4-1 record on the women's side and a 3-2 mark for the men.
- The tournament included what is considered the unofficial University Athletic Association matchup between Brandeis and NYU. In that match, the Brandeis women (15-12) and the NYU men (20-7) prevailed.
- It was the fourth-straight win against NYU for the Brandeis women.
- The women also defeated New Jersey Institute of Technology (22-5), Hunter College (24-3) and Haverford (19-8).
- Their lone loss came to Stevens Institute of Technology (12-15).
- The men suffered a loss to NJIT in the opening round (11-16), but defeated Stevens (16-11), Hunter (21-6) and Haverford (18-9).
- The Brandeis women are now 18-5 overall on the season, while the men are now 15-5.
TOP INDIVIDUALS – MEN
- Sophomore Guillermo Narvaez (Metepec, Mexico / Technologico de Monterrey) of the foil squad was the top performing full-time fencer for the men, going 9-4 with a 3-0 performance against Hunter.
- Senior squad mate Toby Gray (Keene, N.H./Keene) was undefeated in six bouts, going 3-0 against both Hunter and Haverford.
- Sophomore sabre fencer Kyle Berney (Shreveport, La./Caddo Magnet) led the team with 10 wins in 15 bouts. Berney was 3-0 against Stevens and Hunter, 2-1 vs. NJIT and Haverford.
- The balanced epee squad got contributions from 10 different fencers, with senior Tom Hearne (Holmdel, N.J. / Ranney School) leading the way with six wins, going 2-1 against Stevens and NYU.