From Brandeis University Athletics
The Brandeis University men's soccer team won a battle of top-10 teams this afternoon as the #9-ranked Judges defeated #6 Haverford College, 1-0, on the second day of the Brandeis Invitational, presented by the Park Lodge Hotel Group. Brandeis improves to 2-0, Haverford falls to 1-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In an evenly-played game (shots 10-9 in favor of Brandeis), the Judges got the only goal they needed in the 33rd minute.
- Junior midfielder Brandon Miskin (Needham, Mass./Worcester Acad.) notched the game-winner when he took a beautiful through-ball from senior Zach Vieira (Andover, Mass./Brooks School) in stride. Miskin blasted into the middle of the net past a charging Haverford keeper for his first goal of the season.
- The Judges were able to withstand Haverford's onslaught of corner kicks. The Fords had 15 corners to the Judges' one, including an 8-0 margin in the second half.
- The Brandeis defense limited Haverford to just two shots following those 15 corners.
- Junior goalkeeper Ben Woodhouse (Suffield, Conn./Suffield) made a save on Ford senior midfielder and local product Will Corkery (Needham, Mass./Needham) off a corner in the 21stminute and punching several other attempts away.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The goal was the second of Miskin's career, with both being game-winners.
- His previous score came in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in 2014 in a 1-0 win over Bowdoin College.
- Woodhouse made four saves for his ninth career shutout.
- Haverford senior Sam Miller (Mercer Island, Wash./Mercer Island) had two saves in the losing effort.
- The Judges have won their last 12 games decided by a 1-0 score, dating to November of 2014.
- They have won 62 of their last 69 non-conference games dating to 2013 (62-5-2). Only two of their five non-conference losses in the last four years has come during the regular season.