From University of Chicago Athletics
The University of Chicago men's tennis team booked a return trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals with a 5-2 victory over Gustavus Adolphus College in the third round of the NCAA Division III Championship on Sunday.
This is the second-straight year and second time in program history that the No. 8-ranked Maroons (17-5) have reached the NCAA Quarterfinal round. Their next opponent will be No. 2-ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. The No. 18-ranked Gusties (24-8) were eliminated in the NCAA Regional final for the second season in-a-row.
Sunday's opponents matched up earlier in the year, with UChicago coming away with a 7-2 decision on April 16. Like the previous result, Gustavus Adolphus jumped out to a 2-1 lead after doubles, this time with wins at No. 1 and No. 2. The Maroons turned to the No. 3 duo of sophomore Luke Tsai and junior Max Hawkins to keep them out of a 3-0 hole. The Tsai/Hawkins tandem earned a pivotal service break at 5-5 and then held serve to go up 7-5. Gustavaus Adolphus then struggled on serve again and a volley went long to give UChicago the 8-5 win at that spot.
The Maroons turned the page once singles began and put the doubles results behind them. The home side controlled from start to finish at the bottom four spots and captured first sets at all six positions. Tsai was the first one done with a dominating 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 5. Next to finish was freshman Charlie Pei, who posted a 6-2, 6-2 triumph of his own at No. 4 to put his team ahead 3-2.
Sophomore David Liu battled at No. 2 singles and was tied at 4-4 in both the first and second sets. In both instances, he broke his opponent's serve and completed a 6-4, 6-4 victory. UChicago had match points simultaneously at No. 3 and No. 6, but sophomore Peter Leung was the first one done in the sixth spot with scores of 6-3, 6-4. The remaining matches at No. 1 and No. 3 went unfinished.
UChicago 5, Gustavus Adolphus 2
1. Nicolas Chua (UC) vs. Mohanad Alhouni (GAC) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
2. David Liu (UC) def. Andres Saenz (GAC) 6-4, 6-4
3. Sven Kranz (UC) vs. Zach Ekstein (GAC) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
4. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Mitch Elofson (GAC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Tommy Entwistle (GAC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Peter Leung (UC) def. Patrick Whaling (GAC) 6-3, 6-4
1. Mohanad Alhouni/Andres Saenz (GAC) def. Nicolas Chua/David Liu (UC) 8-4
2. Zach Ekstein/Tommy Entwistle (GAC) def. Charlie Pei/Peter Leung (UC) 8-5
3. Luke Tsai/Max Hawkins (UC) def. Mitch Elofson/David Hagberg (GAC) 8-5