From Washington University Athletics
The No. 6-ranked Washington University in St. Louis men's tennis team advanced to the NCAA Division III Quarterfinals for the 10th-straight season by defeating No. 16 University of Wisconsin-Whitewater 5-3 Sunday at Tao Tennis Center in St. Louis.
WashU improved to 18-5 with the victory, its 11th-straight season with 18 or more wins under head coach Roger Follmer. UW-Whitewater had its five-match win streak snapped and ended its season with a 23-7 record
"Whitewater has very good doubles. We had chances at all three, but were able only to get one point," said Follmer. "I was most happy with the response right away in the singles at No. 4, 5 and 6."
Sophomore Johnny Wu sealed the match for the Bears with a 7-6 (8-6), 6-2 win at No. 2 singles. The singles victory for Wu was the 40th of his career.
WashU takes on No. 3-ranked Middlebury College (18-2) Monday, May 23, at Stowe Stadium in Kalamazoo, Mich., in the NCAA Quarterfinals.
Match-by Match Results:
1. #7 Jake Humphreys/Michael Treis (UWW-M) def. Jason Haugen/Konrad Kozlowski (WASHU) 9-7
2. R. Rajshekhar Raman/Scott Butler (UWW-M) def. Josh Cogan/Johnny Wu (WASHU) 8-6
3. Tyler Kratky/Jeremy Bush (WASHU) def. Michael Schnarr/Grant Thompson (UWW-M) 8-3
1. #20 Jake Humphreys (UWW-M) def. John Carswell (WASHU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Johnny Wu (WASHU) def. Michael Treis (UWW-M) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
3. Tyler Kratky (WASHU) vs. R. Rajshekhar Raman (UWW-M) 4-6, 6-5, unfinished
4. Jason Haugen (WASHU) def. Zane Navratil (UWW-M) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jeremy Bush (WASHU) def. Matt Bisbee (UWW-M) 6-2, 6-2
6. Jake Klein (WASHU) def. Michael Schnarr (UWW-M) 6-0, 6-1
• WashU has an overall record of 40-21 (.656) in 18 trips to the NCAA Tournament.
• Kratky upped his career win total to 118, tied for 13th on all-time win list with Jerry Johnson (1960-63).
• WashU is 112-5 in the last 12 years on their home court.
• The Bears are 17-4 in dual matches at No. 4 singles this season.