From Washington University Athletics
The No. 10-ranked Washington University in St. Louis used a doubles sweep to propel the Bears to a 5-0 win over Hope College in the second round of the 2018 NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Championship Friday in Gambier, Ohio.
WashU improved to 16-8 with the win, while Hope ended its season with a 12-10 mark.
"This was the start we needed in doubles today," said WashU head coach Roger Follmer. "Doubles is going to be the key to our continued success in the NCAA Tournament."
1. #12 Jason Haugen/Konrad Kozlowski (WASHUM) def. Mark VanderStoep/Danny Kroeze (HOPE-M) 8-2
2. Bernardo Neves/Radha Vishnubhotla (WASHUM) def. Michael Kiley/Carter Smiley (HOPE-M) 8-1
3. J.J. Kroot/Johnny Wu (WASHUM) def. Timothy Roe/Justin Folkert (HOPE-M) 8-2
1. Johnny Wu (WASHUM) def. Danny Kroeze (HOPE-M) 6-0, 6-0
2. Bernardo Neves (WASHUM) vs. Mark VanderStoep (HOPE-M) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
3. Benjamin van der Sman (WASHUM) vs. Michael Kiley (HOPE-M) 6-1, 2-1, unfinished
4. Daniel Li (WASHUM) vs. Timothy Roe (HOPE-M) 6-1, 2-3, unfinished
5. Jason Haugen (WASHUM) vs. Carter Smiley (HOPE-M) 6-0, 3-3, unfinished
6. J.J. Kroot (WASHUM) def. Justin Folkert (HOPE-M) 6-0, 6-0
• WashU is in the NCAA Tournament for the 19th-straight season
• The Bears have a 42-23 all-time NCAA record
• WashU swept doubles play for the 10thtime this season
• Wu is two victories shy of 100 for his career
• Neves is seven wins shy of 100 for his career
• The doubles win for Haugen was the 70thof his career