From Brandeis University Athletics
Brandeis University junior shortstop Liana Moss (Agoura Hills, Calif./Agoura)blasted three of her team's six home runs today as the Judges swept visiting Bates College, 9-1 in five innings in the opener and 9-4 in the second game. The Judges improve 15-16 on the year, the Bobcats fall to 3-28.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Senior Madison Sullivan (Dover, N.H./Dover) drove in a season-high five runs, giving the Judges all the scoring they would need in the first inning when she hit a no-doubt-about-it grand slam to left-center field.
- Brandeis's next run came Moss's first round-tripper of the day, a solo shot in the second.
- Senior 1B Jordan Buscetto (Old Lyme, Conn./Old Lyme) got the Judges within one run of the eight-run rule with a two-run double in the frame.
- The Bobcats scored their only run on a Tori Fitzgerald single with the bases loaded in the third, but a line-drive double play helped Brandeis avoid further damage.
- The Judges closed things out in the fifth on RBI hits by senior catcher Danielle Novotny (Milford, N.J./Delaware Valley) and Sullivan, who ended the contest with her fifth RBI of the game.
- Junior Melissa Soleimani (Somerset, Mass./Somerset Berkley Regional) improved to 7-9 in the circle with five innings of work. She scattered seven hits, struck out three and walked one.
- Kylie Martin suffered the loss for the Bobcats.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Bobcats jumped on Brandeis starter Sadie-Rose Apfel (Stamford, Conn./Westhill) for six hits and four runs in two-third of an inning, batting around in the first.
- Fitzgerald got the visitors on the board with a single up the middle, and 3B Paige Ahlholm followed suit to make it 2-0.
- Jenny Abbott plated both of them to give Bates a 4-0 lead and chasing Apfel from the game.
- Rookie Sarah Petrides (Scottsdale, Ariz. / Phoenix Country Day School) came on to get the final out of the first inning and held the Bobcats to just four hits the rest of the way.
- Petrides retired 10 in a row at one point and allowed just one runner past second base.
- She improved to 4-2 on the season.
- Meanwhile, the Judges batted around themselves in the second inning, scoring five runs.
- Junior CF Madison Hunter (Parker, Colo./Legend) got Brandeis on the board with a two-run double, plating Buscetto and Sullivan.
- After rookie Marissa DeLaurentis (Centereach, N.Y. / St.John the Baptist Diocesesan) singled and stole second, Moss launched a homer to left field that put the Judges ahead for good, 5-4.
- After terrific defense and pitching ruled the third through fifth innings, Brandeis opened up some breathing room in the sixth.
- After Sullivan led off with a single, Hunter followed with a home run to deep center field.
- On the very next pitch, DeLaurentis followed suit to left, and Moss drove her second of the game and third of the day over the fence to center field to give the Judges back-to-back-to-back blasts for the first time this season.
- Sullivan's home run was her team-leading seventh of the season and the 18th of her career, moving her into a tie for fifth on the Judges' career list.
- Moss finished the day with six home runs on the season, one behind Sullivan.
- She also climbed into ninth place on the career list.
- Hunter's and DeLaurentis's circuit clouts were their first of the season. It was the fifth of Hunter's college career and first of DeLaurentis's.
- The four home runs in game two were a season-high for the Judges and their most in a game since April 24, 2007.