From NYU Athletics
The New York University softball team swept its home-opening doubleheader, defeating Baruch College 25-0 and 11-0 on Thursday, March 17, at Fordham University's Bahoshy Sports Complex in the Bronx, NY.
The Violets (7-9) cruised to both wins over the Bearcats (0-8), as both games were stopped after five innings.
There was a lot of offense displayed throughout the afternoon by NYU, and it all began in their very first at-bat when Diana King led off with a home run...then did the exact same thing in the second game.
The offensive explosion continued as the Violets scored in each of their four turns at-bat in the opener, including a 10-run third. In the second game, they scored in three of their four times at the plate.
"This just validates what we knew all along, that we can hit the ball," James said. "We can hit any pitcher. We just need to have that mindset when we start every game."
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Dakota Damiani, Sage Scheiwiller, Claire Stefanelli, and Ashley Mains each drove in four runs. Damiani also scored four runs. She had three hits, as did Mains and Stefanelli.
- King, Jacqueline Finn, Scheiwiller, and Val Schwein each collected a pair of hits.
- Jacqueline Tremblay pitched three scoreless innings for the win, while Katherine Piorkowski tossed the final two.
- Karissa Zubulake (four innings) and Olivia Mould (one inning) combined to no-hit the Bearcats. Neither one walked a batter, while Zubulake struck out five. The only Baruch baserunner in the game reached on an error.
- Mains and Piorkowski each knocked in two runs.