From NYU Athletics
The New York University softball team won both games of a doubleheader with SUNY - Old Westbury on Saturday, April 23, at the Bahoshy Softball Complex at Fordham University in the Bronx, NY.
The Violets (15-13) defeated the Panthers (10-15) by a score of 8-0 in game one.
Jacqueline Tremblay started the opener and pitched five shutout innings, allowing six hits and striking out two.
After a pitching-dominated start, Molly Webber broke the game open with a bases-clearing triple in the fifth inning to put NYU ahead 5-0.
"It took us a little bit of time to adjust to the pitching," explained Head Coach Now-Allah James. "Once we got dialed in, we strung together some hits and we were able to put eight runs on the board in a short span.
In the nightcap, Karissa Zubulake pitched a complete game, conceding two runs on six hits while striking out nine.
The Violets took the lead when five consecutive hitters reached base to begin the third inning. A Marisa Bella two-run triple highlighted the barrage, which gave NYU a 4-0 advantage which would prove to be the difference in the 6-2 contest.
"We did what we needed to do to win this game," continued James. "Our pitching locked them down, and we came up with big hits at the right times."
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Claire Stefanelli was 2-for-3 with a double, two runs scored, a RBI, and a walk.
- Diana King was 2-for-4 with a double, one run scored and a RBI.
- Val Schwein was 2-for-3 with a double, one run scored, a RBI, and a walk.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- Bella was 3-for-4 with a double, a triple, three RBIs, and one run scored.
- Katherine Piorkowski was 3-for-3 and scored a run.
- Carina Sturm was 2-for-3 with a double, two runs scored and a RBI.