From Brandeis University Athletics
The Brandeis University women's soccer team rolled to its fourth-straight win today as the Judges defeated host Regis College, 9-0, at Regis Stadium. Senior Lea McDaniel (Phoenix, Arizona/Chaparral) tied a program record in the process with four goals and eight points.
McDANIEL'S BIG DAY
- McDaniel, who scored the game-winning goal in Brandeis's first three contests, did not supply the margin of victory this time out.
- Instead, she scored each of the Judges' next four goals. After doubling the team's lead in the 20thminute, McDaniel scored the first three goals of the second half.
- Her tallies came at 47:00, 48:54 and 50:31 for a span of three minutes and 31 seconds, the eighth-fastest hat trick in NCAA Division III women's soccer history.
- With four goals in the game, McDaniel tied a record set by Kellie Vaughan '89 in 1988.
- The eight points ties Vaughan and Sofia Vallone '11 for the single-game mark. Vallone had three goals and two assists in a 10-0 win against Lesley University on Oct. 26, 2010.
- That was also the last time a Brandeis player had a hat trick.
- With seven goals overall on the season, McDaniel is now two short of her team-leading total from 2015 – in 18 fewer games.
- The game-winning goal came in the 13th minute off foot of sophomore Hannah Maatallah (Wilton, Connecticut/Wilton). It was her third career goal and first game-winner.
- After McDaniel's scoring blitz, the Judges' next two tallies came from first-time goal-scorers – sophomore Alexa Steele-Weintraub (Odessa, Florida/Tampa Prep) in the 59th minute and rookie Katie Hayes (Eau Claire, Wisconsin/Regis High School) in the 63rd minute.
- Junior Haliana Burhans (Charlotte, Vermont/Champlain Valley Union) rounded out the scoring in the 89th minute.
- Sophomore midfielder Sam Volpe (Groton, Massachusetts/Groton School) had two assists, on McDaniel's second and third goals.
- Seniors Cidney Moscovitch (Coral Springs, Florida/Coral Glades) and Jessica Morana(Shrewsbury, Massachusetts/Shrewsbury) assisted first-half goals.
- Junior Sarah Hulit (Ellicott City, Maryland/Wilde Lake) and sophomore Julia Matson (Rockland, Massachusetts/Rockland) earned their second and first career points, respectively with second-half assists.
- Brandeis extended its scoreless streak to 360 minutes by not allowing Regis a shot attempt.
- Senior Alexis Grossman (Syosset, New York/Syosset) played the first 58:25, while sophomore Emma Marx (Kildeer, Illinois / Adlai Stevenson) closed out the final 31:35.
- Regis's Amanda Matias went the distance and made nine saves.
NOTES FROM THE JUDGES BENCH
- The nine goals scored were tied for the third-most in a game in school history: 12-0 vs Lasell, Oct. 16, 2000; 10-0 vs. Lesley, Oct. 26, 2010; 9-0 at Chicago, Sept. 17, 1988.
- Brandeis is ranked #13 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America Division III national poll and #15 by D3soccer.com.
- The Judges improve to 4-0 on the season, the Pride fall to 1-1.