From University of Chicago Athletics
The University of Chicago women's tennis team added another chapter to its storied postseason history by prevailing over University of Wisconsin-Whitewater 5-1 in the third round of the NCAA Division III Championship on Saturday.
The No. 9-ranked Maroons (13-5) advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals for the sixth time in program history. The No. 21-ranked Warhawks (24-6) were eliminated from the NCAAs by UChicago for the third time in five years.
The two combatants met earlier in the season, with UChicago emerging triumphant 5-3 in the Midwest Invite final on April 2. Saturday's weather conditions necessitated a move to an indoor venue. The doubles results were exactly reversed from that previous meeting, with UChicago winning at No. 2 (junior Tiffany Chen/senior Stephanie Lee) and No. 3 (sophomores Ariana Iranpour/Courtney Warren) by scores of 8-4 and 8-5, respectively.
With a 2-1 lead in hand, the Maroons needed to win three of the six singles matches to reach five team points and advance. The top four singles spots split the opening sets, with three of those bouts extending out to three sets. Chen took the tiebreak in her first set at No. 4 and she was the first one through with a 7-6 (7-1), 6-4 win.
Despite dropping first sets, senior Lucy Tang and sophomore Ariana Iranpour rallied back in a big way and cruised through their third sets by matching 6-1 margins. Iranpour's final point ended the contest with the three remaining matches unfinished.
UChicago 5, Wisconsin-Whitewater 1
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Megan Humphreys (UWW) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Rachel Kim (UC) vs. Gabi Kitchell (UWW) 6-4, 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
3. Lucy Tang (UC) def. Bridgid McGuire (UWW) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Alexandra Talyansky (UWW) 7-6 (7-1), 6-4
5. Kaela Bynoe (UC) vs. Jillian Wallace (UWW) 2-1, unfinished
6. Kat Stevanovich (UC) vs. Alicia Beck (UWW) 0-1, unfinished
1. Megan Humphreys/Bridgid McGuire (UWW) def. Rachel Kim/Lucy Tang (UC) 8-2
2. Tiffany Chen/Stephanie Lee (UC) def. Alicia Beck/Jillian Wallace (UWW) 8-4
3. Ariana Iranpour/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Gabi Kitchell/Alexandra Talyansky (UWW) 8-5