From Emory University Athletics
The top-ranked Emory University Women's Tennis team won its fifth consecutive University Athletic Association championship and the 28th overall in program history Saturday afternoon, defeating 9th-ranked University of Chicago, 5-4, in a thrilling title match in Altamonte Springs, Florida.
With the match deadlocked at 4-4, junior Bridget Harding rallied from a first set deficit to deal Ariana Iranpour a 3-6, 6-0, 6-3 loss at first singles to claim the championship point for the Eagles.
Emory fell behind the Maroons in the early stages of the match as UC stood victorious in two of the three doubles matches. Harding and senior Katarina Su were the lone victors, edging Rachel Kim and Marjorie Antohi 8-4 at first doubles.
However, the Eagles started singles play strong, winning three straight points to move in front 4-2. Senior Melissa Goodman collected her sixth consecutive win to improve to 18-9, winning her fifth singles match 6-3, 6-1. At fourth singles, Su notched her eighth consecutive victory to move to 21-5, downing Tiffany Chen 6-3, 6-0. Sophomore Daniela Lopez dropped Kim, 6-4, 6-0, on court three to push Emory ahead by two.
Chicago answered with wins at second and sixth singles to set up a winner-take-all match at first singles with Harding coming out on top in three sets.
Emory will close out the regular season next Saturday, April 29th, with the final match of regular season against Georgia Gwinnett College. The match is scheduled to begin at noon and will be held on the WoodPEC Outdoor Courts.
Emory 5, UChicago 4
1. Bridget Harding (EU) def. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Michelle Satterfield (EU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
3. Daniela Lopez (EU) def. Rachel Kim (UC) 6-4, 6-0
4. Katarina Su (EU) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Melissa Goodman (EU) def. Estefania Navarro (UC) 6-3, 6-1
6. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Paula Castro (EU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. Bridget Harding/Katarina Su (EU) def. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (UC) 8-4
2. Tiffany Chen/Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Michelle Satterfield/Daniela Lopez (EU) 8-4
3. Ariana Iranpour/Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Paula Castro/Michelle DeMeo (EU) 8-5